Skilled Visas Australia

Understanding the difference between the different skilled visas can be difficult, but once you know the difference between visas 189 and 190 it becomes easier.

What is the difference between visa 189 and 190?

To start with both subclass visas 189 and 190 have the following similarities:

  • You must make an expression of interest (EOI) under the Skillselect system.
  • They are both point tested.
  • You need to:
    • Be under the age of 45 at the time of making an application.
    • Obtain a skills assessment in your occupation before applying for the subclass visa 189 or 190.
    • Meet the minimum English requirements.
    • Nominate one of the occupations on the skilled occupation list for visa 189 and 190.
    • Take the points test and score a minimum of 65 points.

Points are awarded in the following categories:

  • Age
  • English Language
  • Australian and overseas work experience
  • Australian study
  • Qualifications
  • Regional Australian study
  • Spouse skills.

Making an expression of interest

When you have met these requirements you submit an EOI to apply for a 189 or 190 visa online at the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA)website. This is not a visa application so there is no fee.

Once you submit your EOI, you need to wait to be invited to apply for the relevant visa.

Skillselect stores your EOI for two years. You can access it at any time to update the information when anything in your circumstances changes. You cannot update your EOI after you receive an invitation to apply for a visa. Things you may want to change include:

  • Improved your English.
  • Have more work experience.
  • Achieved higher education qualifications.

It is important to make these changes to your EOI as it can increase your point score which can improve your ranking. Keep in mind, if the information you provide is false or misleading it can result in your application being refused.

If you receive two invitations to apply for a 189 or 190 visa, your EOI will be removed from the system when you do not lodge a visa application.

Permanent Skilled Independent Visa — Subclass 189

The subclass 189 visa allows you to work and live in any part of Australia permanently. You can apply for the permanent skilled independent visa whether you are living overseas or are already in Australia. Once you receive the 189 visa, there are no conditions attached to it.

There is a lot of competition for this visa and only certain occupations are available and they must be on the medium and long-term strategic skilled list.

Who is the subclass 189 visa suitable for?

The subclass 189 visa is suitable if you:

  • Have trade or university qualifications.
  • Are qualified in your nominated occupation and have work experience.
  • Have an occupation on the list of approved occupations.

Medium to Long-term Skilled Occupation List

The following table is a snapshot of the occupations on the Medium to Long-term Skilled Occupation List.

Item Occupation ANZSCO code Assessing authority
1 Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic 342111 TRA
2 Bricklayer 331111 TRA
3 Carpenter 331212 TRA
4 Chief Executive or Managing Director 111111 AIM
5 Electronics Engineer 233411 Engineers Australia
6 External Auditor 221213 CAANZ, CPAA, IPA
7 Faculty Head 134411 VETASSESS
8 Fitter and Turner 323212 TRA
9 Fitter-Welder 323213 TRA
10 Gasfitter 334114 TRA
11 Joiner 331213 TRA
12 Fibrous Plasterer 333211 TRA
13 Food Technologist 234212 VETASSESS
14 Gasfitter 334114 TRA
15 Joiner 331213 TRA
16 Locksmith 323313 TRA
17 Management Accountant 221112 CAANZ, CPAA, IPA
18 Registered Nurse (Aged Care) 254412 ANMAC
19 Social Worker 272511 AASW
20 Software Engineer 261313 ACS

Permanent Skilled Nominated Visa — Subclass 190

The subclass 190 visa is almost the same as the 189 visa. The difference is that you receive an invitation to apply for a subclass 190 visa from a state or region.

Once you submit an EOI, you need to receive an invitation from a State or Territory Government to apply for the subclass 190 visa. All have different requirements from the people they nominate.

Applicants must have the following:

  • Your occupation must be on either the medium to long-term or short-term skilled occupation lists, or the regional occupation list.
  • Every State and Territory makes a decision about the shortage of occupations in their area to make a decision about who they want to nominate.

Often states and territories prefer to nominate people already working, living or studying in the area.

When you receive a letter of invitation from a government that has decided to nominate you, you can now lodge your subclass 190 visa application.

The following table is a snapshot of the occupations on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List.

Item Occupation ANZSCO code Assessing authority
1 Automotive Electrician 321111 TRA
2 Baker 351111 TRA
3 Cabinetmaker 394111 TRA
4 Carpenter 331212 TRA
5 Carpenter And Joiner 331211 TRA
6 Chef 351311 TRA
7 Cook 351411 TRA
8 Diesel Motor Mechanic 321212 TRA
9 Electrician (General) 341111 TRA
10 Electrician (Special Class) 341112 TRA
11 Fitter (General) 323211 TRA
12 Fitter and Turner 323212 TRA
13 Fitter‑Welder 323213 TRA
14 Joiner 331213 TRA
15 Metal Fabricator 322311 TRA
16 Metal Fitters and Machinists 323299 TRA
17 Metal Machinist (First Class) 323214 TRA
18 Motor Mechanic (General) 321211 TRA
19 Panel Beater 324111 TRA
20 Pastrycook 351112 TRA

Commonly asked questions

Can we apply for both 189 and 190 visas?

You have to be invited to apply for either the 189 or 190 visa after submitting an EOI.

How to get 189 and 190 visa?

You have to lodge an EOI with Skillselect and wait for an invitation to apply.

What's the difference between 189 and 190 visa?

The main difference is the government invites you to apply for the subclass 189 visa, and the States or Territory Governments invites you to apply for the190 visa.

How Direct Migration Experts can help you

Contact the specialists at Direct Migration Experts to help you understand the process of applying successfully for a subclass 189 or 190 visa. We will go through the process with you to make sure you qualify.

Working with us means your application can meet the requirements for a high score in your EOI which can give you a better chance of success.

Call us today on 1300 015 592 to talk to one of our friendly migration experts.