Training Visa Subclass 407

The Training Visa subclass 407 allows you to stay in Australia temporarily for up to two years. This visa allows you to enter Australia to undertake occupational training in the workplace or to attend a professional development training program.

You have to be nominated in one of three training categories:

  1. Occupational training required for registration. This is workplace-based training you need where registration and licencing is mandatory to practice your occupation overseas or in Australia (for example, a doctor or solicitor).
  2. Structured workplace training to improve skills in an eligible occupation. Completing a structured training program includes:
    • Training in Australia that is specifically tailored to your needs.
    • Relates to an occupation on the skilled occupations list.
    • You have recent, relevant experience of at least 12 months in the previous two years before you lodge your nomination.
  3. Occupational training for capacity building overseas. This includes the following categories:
    • An overseas qualification. This is structured training in the workplace to meet training plans for students studying in their home country and need to gain workplace experience in a practical environment to complete their degree or qualification.
    • Government support. You can apply for the training visa for structured, workplace training under this category where you have the support of a government agency either in Australia on in your home country.
    • Professional development. Overseas employers can apply under this category when they want their employees to receive targeted professional development for the benefit of the organisation.

You can be either in Australia or overseas and you must lodge your visa application online.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for the visa you must be either work for your sponsor, or be nominated or invited by a Commonwealth Government agency. You must also:

  • Be at least 18 years of age unless you are eligible for an exemption.
  • Only take part in training that meets one of the nomination types.
  • Meet Australia’s health and character requirements.
  • Speak English proficiently so you understand the training, and to meet occupational health and safety requirements.
  • Have sufficient financial resources to support yourself and your family members while you stay in Australia.
  • Make arrangements for health insurance for you and any family members for the duration of stay.
  • Be genuine about only staying in Australia on a temporary basis.
  • Meet the requirements of the training program.

Employer sponsored visa

An employer sponsor must:

  • Provide you with the occupational training unless they have an exception.
  • Be either a foreign or Australian government agency, or a legal Australian organisation.
  • Be able to comply with their obligations as a sponsor.
  • No have identified anything unfavourable about you or your family members unless the Department of Immigration finds it reasonable to ignore.

Ability to nominate

To be eligible to nominate someone, the nominator must have been approved as a temporary activities sponsor or lodged an application to become one.

Training visa cost and processing times

The training visa will cost you $AU315 as the primary visa holder and there will be additional costs if you bring family members with you. You may also have to pay for police and health checks.

Eligible Skilled Occupations List

The following is a snapshot of the occupations on the Eligible Skilled Occupations List.

Item Number Occupation ANZSCO Code Assessing Authority
1. Chef 351311 TRA
2. Metallurgist 234912 VETASSESS
3. Small Engine Mechanic 321214 TRA
4. Actuary 224111 VETASSESS
5. Agricultural Consultant 234111 VETASSESS
6. Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic 342111 TRA
7. Agricultural Engineer 233912 Engineers Australia
8. Dancer or Choreographer 211112 VETASSESS
9. Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist 253917 MedBA
10. Economist 224311 VETASSESS
11. Electrical Engineering Technician 312312 TRA
12. Glazier 333111 TRA
13. ICT Security Specialist 262112 ACS
14. Landscape Architect 232112 VETASSESS
15. Neurologist 253318 MedBA
16. Obstetrician and Gynaecologist 253913 MedBA
17. Nurse Practitioner 254411 ANMAC
18. Painting Trades Worker 332211 TRA
19. Roof Plumber 334115 TRA
20. Secondary School Teacher 241411 AITSL
21. Shipwright 399112 TRA
22. Sheetmetal Trades Worker 322211 TRA
23. Fitter and Turner 323212 TRA
24. Panel beater 324111 TRA
25. Carpenter 331212 TRA
26. Painting Trades Worker 332211 TRA
27. Wall and Floor Tiler 333411 TRA
28. Drainer 334113 TRA
29. Social Worker 272511 AASW
30. Footballer 452411 VETASSESS

Direct Migration Experts can help

Direct Migration Experts are registered migration agents with in depth knowledge of the requirements for the Training Visa subclass 407. It can be a complex process and take longer if you do not fill in the application correctly, the Department of Home Affairs has to verify your information or you do not include all the information required.

To learn more about Australia, do your research for more information from expats and about travelling to Australia.

Call us today on 1300 015 592 to find out how our friendly team can make the visa process stress free.