The subclass 186 visa is also known as the employer nominated scheme. It allows skilled workers to work and live in Australia on a permanent basis. But your employer must nominate you before you make a visa application.
There are three streams you can apply under:
- Direct entry stream. The direct entry stream is for skilled workers nominated by an Australian employer. You must have at least a competent grasp of English and have an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. When this visa is granted, it gives you permanent residency.
- Labour agreement stream. The labour agreement stream is suitable for you if your employer has a labour agreement. If this visa is granted, it gives you permanent residency.
- Temporary residence transition stream. The temporary residence transition scheme is suitable when you have already worked for your employer for a minimum of three years full time. To submit a visa application, you must have a 457, 482 or a bridging visa. If the visa is granted under this stream is, it gives you permanent residency.
Subclass 186 Visa Processing Times
The following are the current subclass 186 visa processing times 2022.
Direct Entry Stream
The 186 visa processing time for the direct entry stream is:
- Four months for 25% of applications
- Five months for 50% of applications
- Seven months for 75% of applications
- 12 months for 90% of applications.
Being granted a visa under the direct entry stream gives you and your family permanent residency and costs from $AU4,115.
Labour Agreement Stream
The 186 visa processing time for the labour agreement stream is:
- 47 days for 25% of applications
- Three months for 50% of applications
- Five months for 75% of applications
- Eight months for 90% of applications.
Being granted a visa under a labour agreement gives you and your family permanent residency and costs from $AU4,115.
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
The 186 visa processing time for the temporary residence transition stream is:
- Five months for 25% of applications
- Nine months for 50% of applications
- 16 months for 75% of applications
- 25 months for 80% of applications.
This visa costs from $AU4,115.
Speed up the Processing Time
It can be hard to be patient when waiting for an outcome for your subclass 186 visa application. There are some things you can do to make the processing time quicker:
- The Department of Home Affairs processes visa applications based on individual cases and processing times can vary depending on your circumstances.
- It is vital to fill out your visa application correctly.
- Submit all the required supporting documents.
If the Department of Home Affairs asks for additional information, make sure you answer them quickly.
Not submitting the required supporting documents or if any information is outdated, this slows down your visa application. The Department of Home Affairs can refuse your subclass 186 visa if you do not submit all the required information.
Contact us for help. Our migration agents are experts and can help you with the quality of your application. We can make sure you have all the correct supporting documents before you submit your visa application. Working with our migration agents makes the whole process less stressful and can speed up your visa application.
Contact us today on 1300 015 592 to find out how we can help you.
Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List
To apply for one of the employer nominated scheme streams, you must be a skilled worker that has an occupation on the following Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List. You may also need to pass a skills assessment.