The Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485 allows international students to live, work and study in Australia. You must have recently graduated, and have the relevant skills and qualifications to work in an occupation listed on the medium and long-term strategic skills list. At any time while holding this visa, you can apply for a permanent visa if you are eligible.

Basic eligibility for the subclass 485 visa includes:

  • Having an eligible visa.
  • Holding a student visa in the previous six months.
  • Be under 50 years of age.
  • Be in Australia at the time of applying for the visa.
  • Having the relevant health insurance as you are liable for your health costs.
  • Having a competent level in the English language.
  • Only nominating one stream as you cannot change streams once you lodge a visa application to the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Recently received a qualification in a CIRCOS-registered course.
  • Attach the evidence required when applying for the visa.

There are two streams available — the graduate work stream and post-study work stream.

Graduate Work Stream

This visa allows you to work, study or travel in Australia for 18 months. But if you have a Hong Kong passport, you can stay for up to five years. You can come and go from Australia as many times as you like while the visa is valid. There are no extensions for this visa unless you are from Hong Kong, but you have other visa options you can apply for.

To apply for the graduate work stream, you need to hold a current visa and it cannot be one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister.

The following is also applicable:

  • Must have held a student visa in the six months before applying for the visa and now have either a Bridging A or B visa granted until your temporary visa comes through or hold a substantive visa.
  • Where you no longer have a student visa, but COVID-19 has impacted you and you cannot travel to Australia to apply for the subclass 485 visa, you are eligible to apply as long as you had a student visa in the last 12 months.

Australian study requirements

You must meet all Australian study requirements including all course requirements of a CIRCOS-registered course in two years. Your study must have been in English and stayed in Australia for at least 16 months.

Applying for the Graduate Work Stream

Other requirements you need to apply is having a qualification that qualifies you to nominate an occupation on the medium and long-term strategic skilled list. This can be a degree, trade qualification or a diploma. You will need a skills assessment on the basis of the skills you studied in Australia by the relevant authority. You skills need to be assessed as suitable to work in that occupation. It is your responsibility as an overseas student to arrange the assessment.

You must also have the relevant health cover for yourself and any family members to cover your healthcare costs. It is necessary to have adequate health cover to be granted a visa under this stream.

It is also necessary to take an English exam within three years before lodging your application with scores from one of the following:

  • IELTS with an overall score of at least six (6) and a minimum score of five (5) for each of the four parts.
  • PTE Academic with an overall score of at least 50 and a minimum score of 36 for each of the four parts.
  • TOEFL iBIT with an overall score of at least 64 with a minimum score of four (4) for listening, four (4) for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking.
  • OET with at least a B for each of the four parts.
  • Cambridge with at least a score of 169 and a minimum of 154 in each of the four test components.

Visa cost and processing time

The graduate stream costs from $AU1,680 and the processing time is between 8 and 9 months.

Post-Study Work stream

The post-study visa work stream is for international students who want to stay in Australia and have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It is usually granted for between two and four years when you want to work in Australia after completing your studies. You can bring your immediate family members with you.

All the requirements under the graduate work stream also apply.

Also keep an eye out on the expats forum for relevant information that may help your application or find a job in Australia.

Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List

The following is a snapshot of the occupations on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List.

Item Number 

Occupation ANZSCO Code Assessing Authority
1. Chef 351311 TRA
2. Metallurgist 234912 VETASSESS
3. Small Engine Mechanic 321214 TRA
4. Actuary 224111 VETASSESS
5. Agricultural Consultant 234111 VETASSESS
6. Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic 342111 TRA
7. Agricultural Engineer 233912 Engineers Australia
8. Dancer or Choreographer 211112 VETASSESS
9. Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist 253917 MedBA
10. Economist 224311 VETASSESS
11. Electrical Engineering Technician 312312 TRA
12. Glazier 333111 TRA
13. ICT Security Specialist 262112 ACS
14. Landscape Architect 232112 VETASSESS
15. Neurologist 253318 MedBA
16. Obstetrician and Gynaecologist 253913 MedBA
17. Nurse Practitioner 254411 ANMAC
18. Painting Trades Worker 332211 TRA
19. Roof Plumber 334115 TRA
20. Secondary School Teacher 241411 AITSL
21. Shipwright 399112 TRA
22. Sheetmetal Trades Worker 322211 TRA
23. Fitter and Turner 323212 TRA
24. Panel beater 324111 TRA
25. Carpenter 331212 TRA
26. Painting Trades Worker 332211 TRA
27. Wall and Floor Tiler 333411 TRA
28. Drainer 334113 TRA
29. Social Worker 272511 AASW
30. Footballer 452411 VETASSESS

Get In Touch With Us Today

Experienced, knowledgeable professionals start with the experts today. Supporting you every step of the way.