Australian Visa Options for Engineers

The Australian Government is always looking for people with an engineering qualification who want to migrate to Australia. Once you are eligible you can take up permanent residence. Due to the demand for engineering professionals, the Department of Home Affairs has a large range of occupations on the skilled occupations list.

Eligible skilled occupations list

The following is a snapshot of the engineering occupations on the medium and long-term strategic skilled occupation lists.

Item Number Occupation ANZECO Code Assessing Authority
1. Engineering Manager 133211 Engineers Australia
2. Engineering Professionals nec 233999 Engineers Australia
3. Engineering Technologist 233914 Engineers Australia
4. Environmental Engineeria 233915 Engineers Austral
5. Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) 323111 Engineers Australia
6. Chemical Engineer 233111 Engineers Australia
7. Agricultural Engineer 233912 Engineers Australia
8. Materials Engineer 233112 Engineers Australia
9. Civil Engineer 233211 Engineers Australia
10. Geotechnical Engineer 233212 Engineers Australia
11. Structural Engineer 233214 Engineers Australia
12. Electrical Engineer 233311 Engineers Australia
13. Electronics Engineer 233411 Engineers Australia
14. Industrial Engineer 233511 Engineers Australia
15. Mechanical Engineer 233512 Engineers Australia
16. Production or Plant Engineer 233513 Engineers Australia
17. Mining Engineer (excluding Petroleum) 233611 Engineers Australia
18. Petroleum Engineer 233612 Engineers Australia
19. Civil Engineering Draftsperson 312211 Engineers Australia
20. Civil Engineering Technician 312212 Engineers Australia

Skilled Australian visa options

There are a number of options to apply for a skilled migrant visa to work or study in Australia. But which one you apply for depends on your qualifications and experience. You may need to lodge an expression of interest and complete a points test. Once you do that you then need to wait for an invitation from the states or territories before you can lodge an application. There are also different options when looking for permanent residency visas.

You can apply while living overseas or in Australia. When applying for skilled visas or regional visas for Australia, your nominated occupation must be on the medium and long-term strategic skills list. The following are the visas you may be eligible for:

  • Skilled (Independent) subclass 189 visa
  • Skilled (State Sponsored) subclass 190 visa
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) subclass 494
  • Skilled Regional visa subclass 489 visa (family sponsored)
  • Employer Nominated Scheme subclass 186 visa
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass 187 visa
  • Skilled (Regional) subclass 489 visa (State or Territory Nominated)
  • Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa subclass 491
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) subclass 494 (employer sponsored stream)
  • Skilled—Recognised Graduate visa subclass 476
  • Training subclass 407 visa.

Migration skills assessment for engineers

Engineers Australia is the skill assessing authority for conducting skill assessments for engineers with work experience or studying in Australia. Contact them before you lodge a visa application for Australian migration.

It is hard work migrating to a new country. Engineer Australia tries to make the process simple with a six-step process:

Read the Migration Skills Assessment Booklet.

  • Choose your assessment pathway.
  • Read the Applicant User Guide.
  • Create your account with Engineers Australia.
  • Log in to myPortal and navigate your way to Migration Skills Assessment
  • Start lodging your application.
  • Assessment pathways

There are six assessment pathways. The right one for you depends on your qualification and educational background. It will also depend on whether you have a degree or higher qualification. You must also meet the minimum academic requirements.

The following are the five assessment pathways available when your qualification is:


Engineer Australia accredited.


From a country that is a full signatory to the Washington Accord.


From a country that is a full signatory to the Sydney Accord.


From a country that is a full signatory to the Dublin Accord.


Not accredited or from a non-Accord country you need to use the Competency Demonstration Report pathway.

Competency Demonstration Report pathway

The Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) is based on your competencies and undergraduate degree. You need to provide evidence of your:

  • Core engineering knowledge to support your nominated occupation.
  • Demonstrate a working application of your knowledge in your nominated occupation.
  • Components of the CDR assessment include:
  • Personal information including:
  • A recent passport size photo.
  • An identification document such as the data page from your passport with an English translation. If you cannot scan a copy of this, then a copy of a national identity card or your birth certificate.
  • A change of name document, if applicable.
  • Resume.
  • Evidence of your English proficiency.
  • Application information including:
  • Engineering occupation.
  • Registration.
  • Education. You need to provide supporting documents as evidence of you education These can include your degree certificate or other supporting documents. Yu need to provide these for all relevant engineering qualifications if you have more than one qualification. If you ae currently studying, upload your letter of acceptance into the course.

Employment including:

  • A Standard Competency Demonstration Report Assessment.
  • Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment.

Write a Report which includes:

  • Identification of continuing professional development.
  • Writing your Three Career Episodes. These are episodes from your engineering education and work experience. Each episode should focus on a specific timeframe or a particular engineering activity. It should describe how you applied your knowledge and skills for your nominated occupation. As these are based on your real life experience, you must provide evidence of your employment.
  • Make sure you read the definition of plagiarism when writing these. You cannot have someone else write it for you.

The career episodes should be in the following format:

  • An introduction of around 150 words.
  • Background of between 200 to 500 words to set the scene and give context to the engineering activity that you are writing about.
  • Your personal involvement in the engineering activity should be between 600 and 1500 words.
  • A summary of between 50 and 150 words to sum up your thoughts about the activity and your role in it.
  • Prepare a summary statement. You must download the relevant summary statement for your nominated occupational category and complete it. You must use the one summary statement template to summarise all three career episodes.

How we can help?

With so many visa choices available when applying to work in Australia in an engineering profession, the process is complex. The specialists at Direct Migration Experts can help you every step of the way. We are registered migration experts and can assess your situation to help you make the right choices and decisions. We can also assist with the documents you need and making your EOI, visa application and skills assessment.

To learn more about migrating to Australia, research information from the expat forum and the Australia forum.

There is no time like the present!

Contact Direct Migration Experts today – our experts are ready to assist you with all your migration enquiries on 1300 015 592 or complete the form in the button link below.